Tuesday, November 6, 2007

An Interesting Twist

In most of my experiences down here I have tried to take a positive tone. There is a lot that I just shake my head at or moan in frustration. However, when I share my thoughts or talk with others I try to stay on the positive side and see things from the other perspective. Sorry but this time the gloves come off.

As some of you know, I am married to a Mexican. Stacey was born in Mexico and by Mexican law she is a Mexican. As an additional bonus, in 1999, Mexico passed a law allowing dual citizenship, so my children are, by Mexican Law, also Mexicans. Now we have really grown to enjoy and even love Mexico. The beauty, the people, and the culture are all quite endearing. With that in mind we thought it would be a good idea to get our children Mexican passports to give them flexibility later in life to start a business, get an education, or even live in Mexico.

After 3 months of questions, paperwork, and run around we were finally ready to get the passports. We went to the office, were sent to another office, and then told we needed to go to a consulate office in the US to become Mexican citizens…

So let me get this strait… My children need to go to Mexican soil in the US to become Mexicans… when they have the legal right under MEXICAN LAW…

All of this has caused me to view/vent about the current immigration debate in the US under a new light.

In Mexico, I cannot get a driver’s license unless I have a visa and am here legally.
In Mexico, I cannot work without a valid visa.
IN MEXICO, I cannot get medical services at the state’s expense, even WITH a work visa.
IN MEXICO, I cannot go to the University and without paying an extra extranero (foreigner) fee.
AND IN MEXICO, I cannot apply for legal status as a Mexican, even if legal, without going back to the US!!!

Does any of this sound familiar… Please don’t misunderstand, I have a great deal of sympathy for Mexican workers trying to feed their families and do work in the US that many in the US don’t want to do. But would it be wrong to suggest that the US apply the same standard to illegal workers in the US that Mexicans apply to all workers in Mexico… Just a thought.

Please add any comments below.

No comments: