Saturday, November 24, 2007

Paradise

In Mexico, Monday the 19th was a national holiday to celebrate the Revolution. So I got it off. Thursday is Thanksgiving, so I got that off too… When 3 days of vacation buys 9 days in a row off, you need to find something to do. We headed to the beach. I was able to find a perfect house on a beach near Ixtapa for $200 a night.

We pulled into a lovely, almost Japanese, garden area complete with a tropical twist. The house is surrounded by a garden with hammocks hanging on palm trees. About 10 steps from the back porch is a little wooden gate leading to the beach. To the right are rocks with tide pools waiting to be explored. To the left a great sandy beach with slow breaking waves. The whole family loves to Boogie Board and this is a beach perfect for it. Paradise. We meet our host and learn the rules, ins and outs, and other trivia. I thought to myself what a perfect life. Live and work where you hear the sound of the surf, always. The salty breeze and the warm inviting waters your constant companions. That would be paradise.
Later, we are playing in that surf having the time of our lives. I tow the kids out to catch another wave, a nice service if you can get it. The kids have all the fun of surfing with none of the work. Then we play in the sand, check the tide pools, and have a quick lunch at the house. I have been working a lot lately so it is so nice to spend so much time with the kids.

After a little while, I strike up a conversation with our host. She has lived here for 15 years but never goes in the water. She spends most of her time working, managing properties, and taking care of the guests. She is single, has a boyfriend and no kids.

Even for a block like me it didn't take long to understand. This isn't paradise, it is a place. Even more it is a place that money can rent time in. If you can buy it, it won't satisfy for long. Paradise isn't a place. I have my kids, my wife, my life. We can come visit the surf and be happy. At the end of the week, we all want to go home. I already live in paradise, we are just visiting the beach.

No comments: